What is AB341?
AB341 is the California State mandatory recycling law that went into effect on July 1, 2012. AB341 sets a 75% recycling goal for California by 2020, the most ambitious in the nation. The law originated with the intentions of keeping California at the leading edge of recycling, creating more green jobs, and keeping waste out of our landfills.
For a full explanation of the law and its origins, visit www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Recycle/Commercial/
Does mandatory recycling apply to me?
The mandatory recycling law known as AB341 applies to:
- Commercial and institutional customers with waste service of 4 cubic yards or more each week
- Multifamily residences (apartments, condominiums, townhomes) with 5 units or more
However, some local ordinances have stricter requirements. For example, all businesses and residences in unincorporated Santa Cruz County are required to recycle.
If you are in doubt or have any questions, click on your city, county or recycling and waste company link at the bottom of this page.
I don’t meet the criteria for mandatory recycling. Why should I recycle?
- Opportunities for businesses and multifamily complexes to save money
- Boosting morale for employees and/or residents
- Improved public image
- Attracting and retaining customers
For the tri-county area, the local impacts of achieving the 75% recycling goal equate to an additional 3,000 tons of recycling per day, resulting in:
- Saving 21 million gallons of water per day
- Saving enough energy to power 12,000 homes
- A daily reduction of 90 tons of air pollutants
- Creating more than 2,000 new jobs
You had me at “save money.” How do I get started?
Your community recycling coordinators and waste service companies offer free waste audits and assistance to help you get the most out of your recycling program. Free services include:
- Visiting your site to understand your facility logistics and nature of your waste stream
- Design a recycling program customized to your needs and situation
- Help you understand what is recyclable
- Provide educational support
Click on your city, county or recycling and waste company link at the bottom of this page. Contact the recycling coordinator and tell them you want to start a recycling program.
Become a Green Business
Take it to the next level and realize even greater benefits for your business or multifamily complex, and become a certified Green Business. Contact your Green Business coordinator to learn how.
Support your local Green Businesses!
Please join the Central Coast Recycling Media Coalition in thanking these businesses for their participation in our media campaign, and protecting our Central Coast!